McRee town
Patty Heyda

3968-70 McRee Ave, McRee Town/ St. Louis. Photo credit Jim Roos (2001).


My project ‘site’ is a building that no longer exists on McRee Ave, St. Louis, MO, in a neighborhood that no longer bears its original name McRee Town (now re-named Botanical Heights). The building was number 3968-70 McRee, St. Louis MO 63110: It was a brick craftsman style residential duplex built in 1915, part of a new streetcar suburb at the time built to house a growing immigrant work force in St. Louis. After the 1977 construction of Highway 44 removed blocks and cut the suburb from its surrounding community (and institutional anchor, the Missouri Botanical Garden), the area lost residents –in addition to suffering various other policies or policy neglect. The neighborhood became poorer and mostly African American. But as demographics changed, building forms persisted. In 1987 the buildings around and including 3968-70 were deemed contributing structures of historic value as they were incorporated into an expanding National Register Historic District overlay zone called Tiffany. A decade later, the same blocks were encompassed in another overlay, this time a redevelopment zone, with a ‘blighted’ value. By 2004, 3968-70 McRee Ave and the six surrounding blocks were demolished.  “Redevelopment” meant most residents were relocated. The spot where 3968-70 stood was rebuilt with a market-rate suburban-style brick veneer/siding home. In 2009, the site was zoned back out of the original Historic District, and a new overlay Liggett & Myers National Register Historic District was created on remaining blocks just west of it. A study of the malleable –yet legislated and unbinding- nature of overlay districts (in particular, the apparatus of ‘historic preservation’) and their impacts on this house and its residents and neighbors provides a lens with which to begin to understand how redevelopment processes frame and operate upon ‘values’ in relation to political and economic agendas (in the making of modern segregation).

This research project engages drawing as a mode of analytical spatial practice to render visible the various additional processual spaces shaping the contested building—to make evident a comprehensive conceptualization of related spaces (‘sites’-plural) where modern segregation in St. Louis plays out.

Basketball Court, St. Louis Place Park
John Early

Markings on one of the four poles at the basketball court in St. Louis Place Park. October 31, 2016. Photo by John Early.

Christ the King UCC, Florissant
Laurie Maffly-Kipp

Christ the King UCC. Photo by Maffley-Kipp.

Confederate Memorial
David Cunningham
Nicole Fox
Christina Simko

The Confederate Memorial in Forest Park, defaced
as an act of protest following the Charleston church shootings in
June 2015. Image from https://www.rt.com/usa/269527-confederate-black-lives-matter/

Confederate Memorial in Forest Park
Matthew Fox-Amato

Forest Park Confederate Memorial, 2016. Photo by Matthew Fox-Amato.

Cook Avenue
Joshua Aiken

4004 and 4008 Cook Avenue,

December 24th, 2016, Photo by Joshua Aiken.

Delmar Boulevard
Eric Sandweiss

5500 block of Delmar, c. 1930; Swekosky Notre Dame College Collection, Missouri Historical Society: http://collections.mohistory.org/resource/143130.html

Eads Bridge
Jonathan Karp

Black East St. Louisans attempt to cross the Eads Bridge during the 1987 Veiled Prophet Fair. 

“4 Jul 1987, Page 5 - St. Louis Post-Dispatch at Newspapers.com.” Newspapers.com. Accessed January 16, 2017. http://www.newspapers.com/image/142332505/?terms=eads.

Fairground Park Pool, O'Fallon
Michael Allen

African-American and Caucasian Children at Fairground Swimming Pool, June 21, 1949 Source: Missouri Digital Heritage (http://cdm16795.contentdm.oclc...)

Ferguson
Jasmine Mahmoud

Panel at Critical Conversations: Art and the Black Body at Contemporary Art Museum, September 2016. Photo by Jasmine Mahmoud.

LaClede Town
Benjamin Looker

Two boys at the LaClede Town housing complex, in a Post-Dispatch photo taken in 1968.

Image found at  https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/141859001/

McRee town
Patty Heyda

3968-70 McRee Ave, McRee Town/ St. Louis. Photo credit Jim Roos (2001).


National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency Redevelopment District, Northside
Heidi Kolk

“St. Louis Wins!,” public mailer sent by the Washington D.C. Office of Congressman William Lacy Clay to St. Louisans in June of 2016. 

The copy reads: “Selected For New Western NGA Headquarters | Largest Federal Investment in the History of The City of St. Louis | North St. Louis selected as preferred site for the new $1.7 billion western headquarters of the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency!”

On the reverse side of the mailer, which also includes conceptual drawings of the NGA site and a photograph of city officials at a press conference in which the big news was announced, Clay explains the decision to located the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency’s new western office as an “unprecedented, transformational opportunity to focus $1.7 billion, the largest federal investment in the history of the City of St. Louis, within the core of [the city’s] new designed HUD Promise Zone to advance my long-standing congressional priroities of bringing jobs, new federal resources and technological innovation to distressed urban neighborhoods in Missouri’s 1st Congressional District.”

Powell Hall
Patrick Burke

Grand Foyer of St. Louis Theater (now Powell Hall), 1925. Courtesy of Missouri Historical Society http://collections.mohistory.org/resource/145282.html

The “Love Bank” Basketball Court and Gentrification on Cherokee Street
Douglas Flowe

Love Bank Basketball Court on Cherokee Street. Photo by Douglas Flowe.

Washington Park Cemetery
Denise Ward-Brown

Headstones of Friends Rebecca Edward & William Maul at Washington Park Cemetery. This is a video still from Home Going, Denise Ward-Brown, 2016. Large clean-up jobs, like this fallen tree, go left undone as volunteers continue to clear and maintain the grounds of Washington Park Cemetery. Photo credit: Denise Ward-Brown (2016).

Wellston Loop Pavillion (1909)
Iver Bernstein

Wellston Loop Pavillion (1909). Photo 2006 by Gary R. Tetley, “Eleven Most Endangered Places, 2007,” Landmarks Association of St. Louis: http://www.landmarks-stl.org/enhanced_and_endangered/eleven_most_endangered_places_2007, accessed on February 26, 2017.  Note that there is no commercial use of this structure at the present time (2.26.17).