Admission to the M.A. in American Culture Studies program is open on a selective basis to:
- Qualified adults in the St. Louis area who are at least two years beyond the baccalaureate degree;
- Recent college or university graduates who have a cumulative grade point average of B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) or better;
- Applicants who are returning to formal academic study after a number of years with a strong undergraduate background in one of the disciplines represented in the American Culture Studies program, strong writing and analytical skills, and a clear understanding of their reasons for pursuing this degree.
The program reviews applications at any time (see Admission Timeline). Students may start the program in the fall, spring or summer terms, and can graduate in any of these terms as well.
Applicants must submit the following:
- A completed Application for Graduate Admission form, including an essay of 300-400 words clearly describing their interest in and qualifications for the program
- A non-refundable $35 application fee
- Official transcripts of all previous college work (undergraduate and, if applicable, graduate); (University College can request the transcript(s) on your behalf, click here for the transcript release form)
- At least three letters of reference. Academic references are strongly encouraged. In any case, letters should speak to academic skills such as writing ability.
- A recent writing sample
- A personal interview with University College staff is recommended, and an interview may be requested by the Program Coordinator or Director of Admissions.
University College and the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences review completed applications and make admissions decisions on a rolling basis. The process typically takes four to six weeks, and so we urge applicants to submit their materials by the following schedule in order to ensure a timely decision: mid-November for spring; mid-April for summer; mid-July for fall. If you plan to apply for federal financial aid, please note that this process can take six to eight weeks. It is suggested that applicants begin by completing their FAFSA at the time of application. For additional information about Financial Aid and step-by-step Financial Aid application instructions, click here.